Sunday, May 22, 2011

Why You're My Favorite



As we come upon graduation, the boys have received many cards and letters from people, expressing words of gratitude and inspiration. I've been amazed at what some people write and express, there have been some incredibly heartfelt words delivered to Patrick and Sean.

One of the letters was more of a "form letter" that one of the teachers gives to her students, but I really loved the message to it. It was a teachers' message to her students of why they were her favorite. It talked about the quiet students, the talkative students, the "know-it-all's", the class clowns, the brightest, the "not so brightest", and why each type of student was her favorite student. I loved the message of why it takes so many types of students, and people, to make the world what it is.

Along those same lines, I decided to do a tribute to some of those students who have touched our sons' lives. On one hand, I hate doing something like this, because I hate leaving anyone out, but on the other, I hope people understand that this is but a brief snippet of the great group of kids that our sons have had the honor of going to school with and playing sports with. So many of these kids have been "my favorite" for their own special way of being who they are. The picture above is of Patrick with two of my favorites, Lauren Townsend and Elise Murray. The sad part is that once high school is done, some of these kids we'll never see again. I know that is how life has to be, but it's hard to know that some of these special young people will never be in your life again. So without further adieu....


Why You're My Favorite

Collin Kitts - You make me laugh, and even those times I know I shouldn't be laughing, I still do. You are such an incredibly neat kid, I just loved watching you play soccer, even when you did or said something you shouldn't. I always had a warm spot in my heart for you, maybe because your Mom and Dad are so special to me, or maybe it's just because of you, but I used to always tell Sean, "I just love Collin".

Lauren Townsend - Whether it was singing or in plays, I always loved to watch you perform. Your voice is incredible, and your ability to play dramatic parts, funny parts, any part in a play is amazing. You will do extremely well in whatever you do, your talent is immense.

Jared Magnuson - You exude leadership. I'd joke with you before an event, like the mission trip to Dominican Republic, to make sure to look after Patrick and Sean, and keep them out of trouble. It was really only partially a joke. You are such a great leader, it will serve you well in the future.

JD Baxter - I think if you ever asked Sean the one player he most loved to play with it would be you. You had such amazing energy as a soccer player, you were always going full speed, and never had quit in you. I loved hearing you on the field and seeing you on the field. You never stopped, never gave up, always were talking and always gave it your all.

Elise Murray - You were probably one of the neatest and best things to happen to Patrick and Sean. As quiet and shy as they are, you are so much the opposite. You are fun, you are talkative, you are an incredible bundle of energy that keeps them on their toes. You have a great personality that will take you far.

Kevin Cooper - If all kids, or people, in this world had a heart like Kevin Cooper, the world would be a much better place. I just read the letters you gave to Patrick and Sean for graduation, and your words were so warm and filled with love. You have a huge heart.

Cole Redman - A freshman on the list? That is how special you are. You were the spiritual leader of the Hebron soccer team, and are just flat out a great leader. As a freshman. I can't imagine what you will be like as a senior.

Olivia Ratts - Maybe it's because most of the music, or movies or shows that are your favorites are my favorites too. Or maybe it's because you have touched our sons' lives in so many ways these past few years. House Church is what it is because of you. You have an artist's heart and a fun and bubbly personality that will carry you far.

John Foley - They say that the eyes are the windows to the soul. Your eyes say that as big and strong as you are, you have an even bigger heart to back it up. I remember how broken up you were when you got red carded and had to sit out. You felt you let your team down. You took goals given up and losses to heart, much more than you should have. That is why you are such a great young man.

Dino Favara - When the boys first went to Hebron, I kept hearing this name - Dino. Dino did this, Dino said that. I came to find out that you were a very funny young man, but I guess what I really appreciated was that you were one of the first to really welcome Patrick and Sean into a new school. We worried a lot moving them their junior year, but you, and others like you, made the transition go almost flawlessly.


OK, I promised myself I would limit it to 10, or I could go on and on. Each of the young people above bring their own special talent and personality to the world, and that's what makes it all so beautiful. We love them for what each of one of them has and what each one of them brings. The leaders, the class clowns, the musically talented, the athletically talented, the happy ones, the brooders, each brings his or her own fingerprint to the canvas, and because of who they are and what they bring, we just love them. Thank God, they've been in Patrick and Sean's lives, and in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment