Friday, January 1, 2016

What Is Your Bling?

A few years ago, our pastor did a sermon that led with the quote above from Mary J. Blige.  It’s easy to criticize Ms. Blige for the comment, I’m not quite sure God has an affinity to make sure she, or anyone else, should have their bling.  She isn’t the only one that has a belief that God wants them to have prosperity, there are many people these days that believe going to church and/or praying will reward them with material wealth. 

Of course I can be a bit critical of others and their view of religion and what it does or should mean to them, so let me turn this back on myself for a second.  First, let’s start with some of the things that can be “bling” to each of us.  Many fall into the normal areas of bling, jewelry of course, as appears to be the case with Ms. Blige, based on her quote.  Many succumb to cars, fancy cars, fast cars, luxurious cars, big pick-up trucks.  Many collect clothes or shoes and have extensive wardrobes.  Fancy houses?  Designer purses, designer dogs, watches, sunglasses, there are many ways we seek out our bling to keep us happy.

So back to me, I always have been somewhat critical of all of those people who need some of these material goods to make them happy.  I started thinking though, what’s my bling?  God knows, I’m far from perfect, it can’t be that I am above all of this.  Of course, I’m not, I have my own various forms of bling.  Let me count the ways:
  • Our yard – Laurel can, and she knows this, tell me anything is needed for the yard, doesn’t matter the cost, and I’ll say yes. Money is no object when it comes to our yard, I will say yes to anything. I love our yard, I love it to look good, and I will spare no expense to make it so.
  • Running shoes – I have three pair of running shoes. All are in relatively good shape. Two are identical pairs of Brooks. Seriously, who needs three pair of running shoes? The worst part is I’m starting to get that feeling, “I need to go to Fleet Feet and look at some new running shoes!” I have a monkey on my back.
  • Starbucks – This is by far my most embarrassing bling. I love Starbucks. I have gotten to the point I go there almost every day. I keep trying to quit, but I just can’t. Seriously, who needs a cup of coffee that costs almost $4 every day? This is a completely ridiculous indulgence, but I can’t help myself.
When you start doing the math, I probably spend at least $2,000/year on these indulgences.  Do I really need this stuff?  Am I any better or different than Mary J. Blige in wanting or needing my bling?  Maybe I don’t come out and say it, say God wants me to have this, but I still have my bling, maybe not in the same form as she has, but it’s still bling.

So what’s your bling?  What are those things you “gotta have”, even though you really don’t need them?  And what could we/should we do with all of that money we would save if we didn’t have our bling?

1 comment:

  1. First off, my bling is computers, hard drives, flash drives and headphones. Lots of each.

    I don't think God rewards us for going to church or praying, but He does love to out give us. When I give to those less fortunate, I have seen God blatantly multiply it and return it to me in crazy and very clear ways so it is obvious to me who is doing it.

    I know he is tempting me to just try to out give him because I can't no matter how I try

    ReplyDelete