Friday, May 10, 2013

Sandy's Greatest Hits

Recently, we had the opportunity to go back to Dayton, Ohio to our former church, Westminster Presbyterian Church, for the retirement of our former pastor, Reverend Dr. George H. “Sandy” McConnel. We had been members at Westminster for most of our adult lives, roughly 20 years. Sandy was our pastor for roughly 12 of those years, and he served Westminster for 21 years. Sandy had many gifts he brought to the ministry, he was a great leader and led some important initiatives at Westminster. He was also a member of our small group, a group of 10 men, that started in 1997, and is still going strong today. A couple of us have moved from the Dayton area, but we still talk, e-mail, share, pray for each other, and get together once a year for a retreat. These men have become the most important men in my lives outside of my family.


As members of my small group know, I carry around “Sandy’s Greatest Hits”. I have about 10 of what I consider Sandy’s best or most moving sermons that I periodically refer back to and share with others when the situation is relevant to one of his sermons. Most recently I shared one of them with my Dad as he is continuing his fight with cancer, and I’ve shared them with my son Patrick as he is facing a very difficult path in his road. Sandy’s sermons are incredible, they are poignant, moving, they make me think, they make me challenge what I believe. I may not always agree with him, but he always makes me think and pray about whatever the topic is, and I come through it much better than I was before. We joked when I was in Dayton, that I should send all of them out to my small group, but instead, I’ll cite my favorites, and a brief excerpt that has meant so much to me in the sermon. Sandy’s Greatest Hits, at least from my perspective are:

1. A Rose in Winter, 12/8/96 – “The greatest oppression is that things are what they seem and no more. Hope denies that.”

2. The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, 11/12/95 – “When the Edmund Fitzgerald went down in Lake Superior 20 years ago, God was not present to intervene and prevent the wreck, but nonetheless God was not absent.” My all-time favorite and the one I share and cite the most.

3. Play the Ball Where the Monkey Drops It, 11/13/05 – “Not only is God with us in our affliction, I believe God offers to assist us in weaving every tragedy into a new and meaningful life.”

4. Learning To Be Content, 8/24/97 – "Paul’s “yes” to Christ is so strong that his “no” to all other competing gods is possible. Paul has a burning “yes” to Christ – a “yes” that burns so deep that it makes it possible for him to say “no” to other things. Paul’s commitment to Christ is so real, so meaningful that material goods, social status, creature comforts are of no account."

5. It’s Not Fair, 2/27/00 – "The Bible does not promise that by “being good” we shall escape evil and suffering! But, it does make evident on almost every page that when evil and suffering come to us, as they inevitably will, we need not succumb to them but can live through them in such fashion that we are the conquerors, not they."

6. I Love You … I Love You … I Love You – God, 11/21/99 – "There may be times that you are out of God’s will but there has never been and never will be a time when you are out of God’s heart. Every prodigal that seeks grace finds grace."

7. The Conviction of Things Not Seen, 12/19/04 – "Now, hope is “the conviction of things not seen.” Hope is faith pointed towards the future. If faith puts us on the road, hope keeps us there."

8. Dealing with Difficult People, 12/19/99 – "If you want to deal with difficult people, start with the one in the mirror. If you want to change the world, start with yourself. Most of us spend too much time trying to change others and not near enough time trying to change ourselves."

9. Where Seldom is Heard an Encouraging Word, 11/14/97 – "Certainly telling someone something you like, admire or appreciate about them is a small thing. It takes almost no effort. Yet, when done with sincerity and love, encouragement pays enormous dividends."

10. The Family Values Debate, 11/8/96 – "How can any intelligent parent, knowing the negative influences that are a part of our high schools today, not encourage their child – even dare I say make their child – go to Sunday School and Youth Fellowship? Obviously I’m biased but I don’t understand. I mean if “family values” are important, why is church an option?"

I have a few others I carry with me, but these are the ones that touched me the most. Sandy’s last sermon centered on the beautiful Benediction he would give at the end of his services. It was so funny, I had forgotten about it, but I hadn’t forgotten it. As soon as he went into it, I remembered it, even though I hadn’t heard it in close to seven years. The Benediction goes like this:

Now go forth into the world in peace
Be of good courage
Render to no one evil for evil
Support the weak
Comfort the afflicted
Honor all persons
Love and serve the Lord
Rejoicing in the power of God’s Holy Spirit
And may the blessings of God
Father, Son and Holy Spirit
Be with you, this day and forever.

Amen. What a great career and service Sandy gave us all. He touched so many lives, and he definitely touched my life and my family’s life in so many ways over the past 20 years. He leaves an incredible legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment