Friday, December 1, 2017

Advent Devotional

Letting Go

I began writing my blog about nine years ago.  I had always loved writing as a creative avenue (my
dream was to be a journalist and write novels), and due to the fact that my career is in business as a Chief Financial Officer, I needed some way of expressing myself.  I titled my blog, “Stuffed With Fluff – Oh Bother!”, partly due to my love of Winnie the Pooh and the fact that in many cases, my head is stuffed with fluff.  I write about life, my family, friends, students, pets, church, and in many ways, how God speaks to me through all of those avenues.  And I wait to see where God is going to take me.     

I’m not exactly sure how most people write, but my blog posts often take many months to “percolate”.  The process is very similar in each case, the difference is typically in the timing.  It all begins with an idea, something strikes me, something interests me.  And that idea sits there for a while.  And like we do in the Advent season, I wait.  Sometimes, I wait, and the idea never gets beyond that point, it dies a slow, but quiet, death.

If the stars were made to worship so will I

In most cases though, the idea progresses, and the way it progresses is through my morning runs.  As I run, I listen to contemporary Christian music, and I talk to God.  As I listen to God, I write my blog in my head.  So I wait for it to formulate, because I know it will be something eventually.  Sometimes God must talk very slowly, or I must listen very slowly, because it takes months for me to write it in my head.  

If the wind goes where You send it so will I

In these nine years, I have not had a goal or a set amount I want to write or themes I want to write about.  It all depends on what strikes me, what interests me, and then I wait for God to help me foster that idea into a creation.

If the oceans roar Your greatness so will I

What really strikes me about this waiting is that in my everyday life, I very much want or need to control everything.  While spiritually I realize that the only one in control is God, I can’t seem to let go of my desire to be in control.  My blog is the one thing over which I give up all control to God.  How it’s written, what is written, the timing of it, all depends on how God speaks to me, and yes, how well I listen.  It is the one thing in my life that I patiently wait for God to deliver on His terms and timing.  Maybe that is why it is so precious to me.

If the rocks cry out in silence so will I

As I approach Advent this year, what am I waiting for?  What are you waiting for?  What will come out of this waiting?

3 comments:

  1. One way or the other I can understand. You know I have left the "God" part behind me a while ago, which doesn't mean I don't believe in anything anymore. There is a higher power some where that controls... And it is hard if as a person you always want to be in control (know exactly what you are talking about) and are then facing things controlled on a higher level. For one or the other reason this always triggers a thinking process, sometimes motivating, sometimes demotivating. It's hard letting things being controlled by others or something else ... What I'm waiting for? The serenity and peace at mind allowing me to let things come and go as they do without wanting to control or intervene ... The outcome? A new, better me ...
    Thank you for the inspiration Steve!
    Best regards, Koen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Koen, thank you so much for your comment. I've found that when I let go, I'm a much better person. Unfortunately, it's not so easy for me. But I have a few blog posts coming on the fact that there is still hope for me yet. I'm still not a finished product. Thank you again, appreciate hearing from you. Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Steve. Our message yesterday was on "Waiting for Christmas". The Pastor focused on the end of the Christmas story, when Simeon & Anna met Jesus in the Temple. God promised them they would see the Messiah, they waited & God (as always) was faithful. Thanks for your faithfulness. Steve Swallow

    ReplyDelete