Sunday, December 3, 2017

Marriage Vow Renewal

Editor's Note:  Laurel and I renewed our vows five years ago on our 30th anniversary.  I wrote the following for that ceremony, and I have to say, I feel even more in love today than I was five years ago.  As you can see, I had our children read our story, partly because I knew I couldn't, but largely because they are such an integral part of our lives.  And yes, I'm the luckiest man alive.

The Nature of Love
Megan: Our father has asked us to expand on the nature of love.  Our role is two-fold.  He knew that it wouldn’t be possible to do this himself without crying like a little baby.  And so much of the nature of love for our parents relates to their children, so it’s appropriate for us to be a vital part of this service.
Kelly: Our father chose 1st Corinthians, 13: 4-8.  Thirty years is a long time, and there are many memories, many life moments that shape a marriage, shape our lives together.  Our father chose four moments, four snapshots that highlight the love that our mother has shown to all, and the reason why, our father loves her so much.

Megan: Love is patient.  While there have been many ways that Laurel has shown great patience with all of us, such as the purchase order policy, “goodbye I love you goodnight”, “I cut off the sweaty parts”, it seemed appropriate to at least start with some humor and focus on her favorite of all of her children, Snickers.  When the boys, particularly Sean, fought so hard to get a puppy, we had no idea what we were getting into.  Snickers was the worst baby anyone could imagine.  While experts would tell you, dogs will never go the bathroom in their crate, we found out the very first night, Snickers hadn’t read the manual.  He stayed up most nights for his first three months or so, he hated his crate, he teethed on our furniture and ruined it, he would pick, pick, pick at the berber carpeting until he could get a good strand and pull it across the room, so we eventually had duct tape throughout our family room.  While Sean and Patrick and I all promised to take care of Snickers, the
one who got to stay up all night with Snickers, was of course, Laurel.  There were many times, she said, it’s either me or the dog, but she knew how much the boys, and I, loved Snickers, so she persevered.

When I finally knew that Snickers had won her heart was one night when we were sitting in the family room watching TV.  Snickers was out back, in the dark, and all of a sudden, you could hear him barking.  For some reason, Laurel thought that Snickers was in trouble, and she leaped off the couch, running out the back door in her bare feet, screaming, “Snickers, Snickers”.  He had won her over, and had become her favorite.  Patience is a virtue, and Laurel definitely possesses this virtue.


Kelly:  Love is kind.  There are many examples, but one has always stuck with me, and it is from early in our marriage.  We were at church at Westminster, sitting on the center aisle of course.  The ushers were taking the offering, and there was a homeless man who had come into the sanctuary and he was sitting a few aisles ahead of us.  The usher tried to be kind and gracefully move past the man, but all of a   sudden, the homeless man tugged at the sleeve of the usher’s jacket.  He had a handful of change that he wanted to put into the offering plate, and he got the usher’s attention to put his change in the plate.  Laurel instantly burst into tears.  I feigned ignorance and asked her what was wrong, but she just shook her head and didn’t say anything.  After the service was over, Laurel was still crying, and I asked her what was wrong.  She said, “Did you see that homeless man?  He didn’t even have shoelaces in his shoes, but he still took the change from his pocket to put in the offering.   If he can do that, how can the rest of us be so selfish?“  I saw the love, the compassion, the kindness that she has for others that day, and I’ve seen it countless times over, whether it is Tawanna, B2B, or whatever small or significant random act of kindness she does along the way. 

Sean: Love bears all things.  When it comes to child bearing, if there is a normal, Laurel didn’t get to experience it.  The most normal child birth along the way was the first, Megan, and she was a month late, at least based on her due date.  Megan came into the world screaming, and she did a lot of that for the first several months.  We used to joke that Megan was a patriotic baby because she always stayed up until the TV programming shut off and they played the Star Spangled Banner at one or two in the morning (yes, back in the olden days of TV).  With Kelly, Laurel ended up on bed rest for the last month or so, and had to endure lying in bed, holding back the contractions.  With the boys, it became much worse.  Laurel had to endure about four months of bed rest, only allowed to leave bed to take a shower each day.  She had to lie there all day, watching TV, doing crossword puzzles, whatever she could do to pass the time, holding off the contractions, so that the boys could grow enough to be born safely.  I constantly wondered, how can she do it?  How does she not bend, how does she not cheat, how does she endure this?  I asked her one day, and very simply, she told me, “I just tell myself each day, if I don’t do this, they won’t survive.  That’s what keeps me going each day”.  I don’t believe I would have been strong enough to ever suffer through this, but Laurel’s love for the boys allowed her to endure those four months.  Her love for her children drove her to bear all things.


Patrick: Love endures all things.  I wish I didn’t have to do this one, but to completely cover the extent of Laurel’s love, this painful part of the journey has to be addressed.  At one point in our marriage, I reached the conclusion that our marriage wasn’t working.  I didn’t see a future for us together, and I determined that it would be best for each of us to find our true soulmate, the one who could make us the happiest.  Maybe I had watched too many movies, too much TV, not sure what it was, but I believed there was something better, something bigger out there.   I left, I became a vagabond of sorts.  I lived on friend’s floors, in their spare rooms, I eventually got an apartment of my own.  I spent a lot of time alone, soul searching, wondering where my life was headed.  I still remember the one morning, getting up in the morning, looking in the mirror, and really not recognizing the person looking back at me.  I was completely lost.

The whole time, Laurel never gave up, who knows why.  I gave her every reason to give up on me, in some ways I kept believing, if she were really smart, really strong, she would just say the hell with me, and move on.  But she didn’t, she never gave up, she never gave in, she kept pushing and pushing me to come back.  I found out how strong, how committed, how dedicated she was.  She believed in our marriage, she was committed to our marriage, and because of her ability to endure all things, we are still together today.  If it weren’t for her, who knows what the girls’ lives would have been like and of course, the boys would have never been born.  Her love and commitment changed our lives completely.

Megan:  My commitment since then has been to try to make every day of her life a better day than the day before.  I realize that I fail at this most days, but that’s my commitment.  She gave me life when I didn’t deserve it, she gave me love when I didn’t deserve it, and my goal, my purpose is to show her the love she deserves for the rest of our lives. 


Too many times, we believe that love is a storybook romance like you read in books, like you see in movies.  True love is loving each other through all the difficulties, loving each other when it isn’t easy to love each other, loving each other through the bad times, as well as the good times.  In my mind, I have had a storybook romance, and I thank God for letting me be a player in this story.  Lou Gehrig once famously said, “I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.”  Lou Gehrig was wrong, he wasn’t the luckiest man on the face of the earth, I am.  Thanks be to God.


No comments:

Post a Comment