Sunday, January 14, 2024

I've Become a Depressed Commie?

 A few years ago, I was in a Teams meeting with my Small Group from my former church, and the topic of sports came up.  I made the comment that I had quit watching sports, I had no interest anymore.

One of my dear friends, Jim Dyer, made the comment, “Are you sure you aren’t depressed?  Losing interest in sports is a sign of depression.”

Now, in defense of Jim, it was a logical road to travel, as I’ve suffered most of my adult life from depression.  But no, in this case, I really didn’t see the corollary, I really didn’t sense that depression was leading me away from sports.

A little while later, I woke up on a Monday morning to about 15 texts on my cell phone.  I probably don’t typically have 15 texts in a month’s time, so I was taken aback, and as I read through them, it was a chat between two of my high school friends.  Apparently the Steelers had been playing the night before, and apparently, it was a really good game, and apparently, the Steelers almost pulled it out.  I texted them once I figured it all out, and said, “Did the Steelers play last night?”  Dale, my best friend from high school, answered, “Yeah, it was a great game, they almost came back and won, didn’t you watch it?”  I said, “No, I don’t watch sports anymore.”

His response, “Are you a commie or something?”

Yes, sadly, I’ve become a depressed commie in my old age….

I think it’s important to set some context for all of this.  In my younger days, I ate, drank and slept sports.  I remember lying in my bed with my transistor radio pressed against my ear, listening to Bob Prince and Nellie King providing a picture of the Pirate game that night.  I can still hear “the Great Roberto!”, “Chicken on the Hill with Will!” and “That’s a can of corn!”.  I would watch any possible sports on TV.  Back then, we didn’t have a non-stop barrage of sports on TV, so whether it was Wide World of Sports, the Baseball Game of the Week on Saturdays, tennis, golf, even bowling, I’d watch it. 

Now, I can’t remember the last sports event I watched.  I can still tell you who won the World Series in 1967, that Bob Gibson had a 1.12 ERA in 1968, the starting infield for the Chicago Cubs in 1969, and the starting rotation for the Baltimore Orioles in 1970.  But I’m not sure who won the World Series this year (Arizona?), I think Kansas City won the Super Bowl last year?  Since it’s so fresh, I know Michigan won the National Title in college football (more on that later).  OK, I’m pretty well tapped out.

So, what happened?

Let’s start with baseball, my favorite sport.  There are several large market teams whose payroll exceeds $200m, and then there are a few, like the Pirates, whose payroll is below $100m.  While money can’t buy happiness, it can buy a World Series title.  Once in a Blue Moon (and I'm not referring to that great A's pitcher, Blue Moon Odom), a low budget team advances to the World Series, and maybe wins, which provides evidence to Major League Baseball that the system isn’t broken, but it is.  It’s not really feasible to win unless you can spend at least a reasonable amount of money, which many teams can’t afford.  So I quit watching baseball.

In regard to football and hockey, I struggle with the issue of brain trauma that so many athletes and former athletes suffer from.  When you read some of the tragic stories of former athletes, legends that you loved to watch like Mike Webster, and what they went through post-career, I struggle to enjoy watching the games.  Plus, as the great writer Dejan Kovacevic (more on him later) would say, the National Hockey League is a “Garage League”.  Hockey is one of the most exciting games played, but the fine leadership in the NHL can’t seem to get out of their own way and let the game thrive and flourish.  It could be so much more, but it never will be under the current regime.

Basketball?  It’s hard to believe a game that could or should be so exciting, is really boring all season until the playoffs.  There’s really no reason to watch it, teams seem to sleep walk through the regular season until the real season starts.  It’s probably the sport that I gave up the earliest, just no real interest anymore.

OK, how about college sports?  Where the game is still the game!  College sports have become truly about money and very little else.  I was never an advocate of paying the players, but really, we should stop the sham of “student athletes”, and just pay the players to play, and if they want to attend school, they can.  It’s really not fair to the players not to share in the huge wealth of college sports.  The fact that Texas A&M paid Jimbo Fisher $75m not to coach speaks volumes on the topic.

The funny thing about all of this is that I still read about sports.  Again, this probably needs some context.  When I was growing up, I dreamed of becoming a sports writer.  That never panned out, but I’ve always loved to read about sports, but not just sports, the people who compete in sports.  The best way I can describe it is the one time when I was on the board of the Miami Valley Literacy Council in Dayton, Ohio, Tom Archdeacon, who wrote about sports for the Dayton Daily News, was our keynote speaker.  His comment was, “People call me a sports writer, but the way I view it, I write about people, who just happen to play sports.”  When I was a fledgling sports writer, that’s what I loved, writing about people who happened to play sports.  Unfortunately, you have to pay a lot of hard dues along the way to possibly get to that point, and I wasn’t willing to do it.

I still subscribe to an online publication called, “DK Pittsburgh Sports”.  The main reason I’ve kept my subscription is because of the writing of Dejan Kovacevic.  I would read anything that he writes, doesn’t matter if it were badminton, curling, bocce ball, I’d read it.  He always has such an incredible insight into any sports event, and he writes beautifully about the people who play the game.  While I’ve lost interest in sports, I haven’t lost interest in great writing.

The other funny thing is that I’ve found some other really good writers along the way.  Taylor Haase covers the Penguins, and she provides great analysis, statistics, insight, and also some really good humor.  I find myself looking forward to her views on the snack offerings at hockey arenas almost as much as her game summary of what went right, or wrong, for the Penguins that night.  Alex Stumpf covers the Pirates, and the best compliment that I can give him is that he makes the Pirates interesting and relevant.  I really have no idea how he does that because quite frankly, they’re neither, but I always look forward to what he has to say about the Pirates.  With all due respect to the rest of the writing team, I’m sure they’re all good, I really don’t pay any attention to anyone but the Pirates and Penguins anymore, the Penguins because I love hockey, and the Pirates, because they were and always will be, my first love.

What Will I Miss?

This:

This was from way back in 2013 when the Pirates became relevant again.  They had missed the playoffs for over 20 years, and finally, they were back.  Not for long, but they were back.  I was able to get Patrick and Sean on board with me for the ride, and they raised the Jolly Roger.  It was great to share that journey, have my sons join me, live and die the Pirates, even if it was brief.  That was fun.

What reminded me of that moment was this:

This is a friend that I used to work with, Adam Meekhof, and he is a huge Michigan fan.  I’ve seen him live and die Michigan over the past several years, and of course, this was their/his year.  The day after Michigan won the National Championship, Adam posted a bunch of pictures of the night as it transpired.  This is the one that captured me.  Look at that passion, see that intensity.  And I love that it’s a shared passion and intensity between Adam and his daughter Addison.  What a beautiful picture, what a beautiful moment.

Yes, that is what I’ll miss.  There’s a certain level of awe that we experience when we can share those great sports moments with each other, especially if it’s family or close friends.  It’s powerful, it’s magical.  Yes, I’ll miss it, but for now, I’m happy to live it vicariously, watching people like Adam and Addison experience the elation of your team winning it all.  As for me, I’ll live out my years as a depressed commie….

 

No comments:

Post a Comment