Saturday, February 13, 2010

If We Are the Body


“But if we are the Body
Why aren't His arms reaching
Why aren't His hands healing
Why aren't His words teaching
And if we are the Body
Why aren't His feet going
Why is His love not showing them there is a way There is a way” Words to “If We Are the Body” by Casting Crowns

Yesterday I flew home from California from a work assignment. I was really excited to be coming home, I had been gone all week, and it was questionable if I'd make it home, due to the weather. My flight had been cancelled out of Orange County, but I was able to get booked on the last seat of a flight leaving LAX at 6:15 in the morning. So, I got up at 3 am, and headed to the airport. When I got to Atlanta, the snow was coming down pretty hard, and it took a while to get home.
As I was coming into the neighborhood, really looking forward to seeing Laurel and the kids (and the dogs of course), I saw the sight above. I slowly drove by and scanned the belongings. Furniture, clothes, bedding, food, children's stuffed animals, an endless view of abandoned possessions. Obviously, with the snow, everything will be ruined. Not only will the owners not have the opportunity to wear these clothes, sit on this furniture, play with these toys, but no charity will get the opportunity to put these valuable furnishings to good use.
I have no idea how these people ended up in the position they did, but unfortunately there are so many of us that are at this point or reaching this point. How do we let this happen without knowing it or doing anything about it? I'm heartbroken that one of my neighbors suffered like this, and I knew nothing about it and did nothing about it. I know it sounds stupid, but what I really noticed or what caught my attention were the stuffed animals. Somewhere, there's a child that lost something dear to them, and they have no idea how or why.
Last night an e-mail came around from someone from the Homeowner's Association. The concern being expressed by many neighbors is how this looks and what can we do to remove this, so we don't have an eyesore in the neighborhood. I'm hopeful that the first reaction or thoughts were what can we do or what have we done to help the people that went through this painful experience. I know it may not always seem like it, but I really believe there is a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment