Thursday, December 24, 2009

Does God Talk To Us - Or Through Us?

Last winter, I was going through some struggles, and I was going through some particular struggles with Laurel. I can't remember what the issues were, it really doesn't matter, but I was irritable and frustrated with Laurel and it came to a boil the one night. Laurel had just arrived home from picking Sean up, and something set me off. I yelled and screamed, and I stormed out. I was done, I was determined that I was leaving, didn't know where I was going to go, but I was leaving. I thought about finding a hotel, seeing if I could stay with someone, but the intent was to just leave. As I drove and realized that neither a hotel nor staying with someone made much sense, I settled on going to work, I could go there, stay for a while, if needed, I could probably spend the night there. Anything, but going home. I took my computer with me since I didn't know if and when I would go back home, and I logged on when I got there. I had the following e-mail from Sean waiting for me:

"I didn't hear what went on tonight, and I'm glad I didn't hear it. If I had heard it, I don't know what I would have done. I don't know if I would have run or if I would have just stood there. One thing that is for certain is that I don't care who was wrong. I don't care who was right. If you ever do this again, I don't know what I'll do. You never do anything that upsets someone else, especially a lady, and not apologize. Even if you weren't wrong, it's best to apologize. Now, what you did tonight was give up. You became a Judas. Judas sold Jesus out. He killed him. Do you know what he did after that? He committed suicide. Peter, on the other hand, denied knowing Christ three times. Do you know what he did? He ran full-speed after Jesus. Every chance he got. Peter didn't give up when he messed up. Judas did. Don't give up. I don't want to see you end up like Judas, and I know you don't want to end up like him. I don't know what's been going on with you lately, but I don't care. There is never any excuse to do that. Giving up is the permanent solution to temporary problems. The problems will go away. Everything will fade. Goodness will be left in its place. Don't be mad at mom. She is just sensitive. She feels unappreciated. She is starting to realize that her daughters are taking advantage of her. She also feels that the men ( you, Patrick, and I) don't need her anymore. She feels useless and helpless. Please, help me and Patrick help her through this. Don't give up."

To say that this e-mail saved our marriage would be overstating it. Laurel and I have been married for 27 years, and like most marriages, we've had our ups and downs and fights along the way. I will say that this e-mail diffused the anger and bitterness that I was feeling. My feelings went from anger and bitterness to amazement at what came out of Sean's mouth (or keyboard). I forwarded the e-mail to Laurel that evening, and her reaction was that we had an incredible son. Needless to say, I ended up going home, we worked things out and I kept the analogy of Judas and Peter fresh in my mind.

The funny thing was that when I asked Sean about the e-mail later, his reaction was "I really have no idea what I wrote, it just came out." Maybe some modesty, but maybe not? It took less than a half hour for me to get to work and log on, and Sean composed this in that period of time. So does God talk to us, or through us? Did Sean come up with this on his own, or did he have some help? Obviously, there are no right answers to these questions, and we will never know for sure. I guess that is one of the beauties of the concept of faith. In your head, you will never know for sure, but in your heart ....

No comments:

Post a Comment