Saturday, February 27, 2010

Father, Son and Holy Spirit - I think I finally got it!

Hopefully it hasn't become too clear from my posts, but I'm not always a rocket scientist. There are certain areas that just baffle me. Medical stuff is one. If we go to the doctor and they explain something, I usually have to have Laurel dumb it down for me. I just don't get it. I'm sure there are many other areas, but it would probably be best to just leave this area open and vague.

Except for the whole concept of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I have never understood it. One of my all time favorite church and kid stories is from years ago when Laurel and I were serving as shepherds at Church for a young children's group. Gerald Bailey, who was a fantastic teacher was leading the worship for the children, and he got on the topic of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. All of a sudden, one of the young boys, Will Boezi, burst out, "I don't get this Father, Son and Holy Spirit stuff!". Gerald's eyes got really big, I was sitting there thinking, wow, I agree, and Gerald reacted really well, and said, "You know, Will, sometimes I don't understand it myself." I'm sure he went on and explained it really well, but as is the case with every other time in my life, I just didn't get it.

Finally, I think I got it. After 49 years (and I'm not exposing Laurel's age, so it should be OK to say this), I think I got it. Recently in a sermon series, our pastor, Dr. Davis Chappell, put it in these terms. God above us (Father), God among us (Son), God within us (Holy Spirit). I could have shouted Hallelujah! This was the first time it ever made any sense to me (Please refer to the above about not being a rocket scientist).

I really hope this has all been much easier for all of you. As I like to refer to these, this was a major lightbulb moment for me. It only took 49 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment